- October 22, 2018
- Heath Wood
One of the most impressive airguns to hit the market is the Hammer from Umarex. The Hammer is a .50 caliber airgun that is arguably one of the best “hunting” airguns ever made. We recently sat down with the “Dog Soldier” Steve Criner, who has had a lot of success with the Umarex Hammer, to talk airgun hunting and why the Hammer is his choice of airgun. Criner, who has been hunting with airguns for several years, enjoys airguns so much that he is now hosting a new show titled Real Airgun Hunting, which is being talked about as being one of the hottest new airgun shows that is digitally distributed. Read below to see what Criner had to say.
Why do you think popularity of hunting with airgun is gaining in popularity?
“Skills, my man, skills. I think people love learning new skills, which bring new challenges, new interest, new adventures. The thrill of hunting with airguns achieves all of those.”
What all have you hunted with an airgun?
“I have been able to hunt many different types of wild game including deer, hogs, squirrels, rabbits, rats, doves, pigeons and of course coyotes and bobcats. But the list could go on and on.”
What was your favorite hunt with an airgun?
“No doubt it is a 31lb Texas bobcat. I was able to call him in and get a shot at 75 yds with the Umarex Hammer. There is something about shooting with air that is simply amazing to me. Plus, I can extend my seasons.”
What do you like about the Umarex Hammer?
“With the Umarex Hammer, I am able to have multiple shots. It is regulated, ergonomic, economic and most of all it’s the most powerful airgun in production.”
What tips do you have for newcomers wanting to hunt with airguns?
“Don’t get carried away. Hunters don’t have to spend a $1000’s and $1000’s anymore to have good equipment. Airgun hunters and/or shooters wanting to have quality equipment nowadays can be hammered up for hunting for under $1000 with the Umarex Hammer.”
The Umarex Hammer is equipped with features that include a standard AR Magpul grip, Quick Disconnect Foster fitting to fill the onboard air cylinder, externally visible air pressure gauge, a button-rifled .50 caliber barrel, and 8.5-inches of Picatinny rail with a MSRP of only $799.99.
- Built in the USA
- Most powerful production air rifle on the planet
- Delivers 760 foot pounds of energy
- Shoots a 550 grain lead slug at 790 feet per second
- Delivers 2 full-power shots plus two additional effective shots
- Places 3 rounds of 350 grain lead slugs within an inch at 50 yards
- Straight-pull bolt with 2 lb. cocking effort and just 2 in. of travel
- Patent-pending Lightspeed valve
- Two linear 2-round magazines included
- 24 cubic inch carbon fiber tank holds 4,500 psi compressed air
- Regulated to 3,000 psi per shot
- Utilizes Quick Disconnect Foster fitting for filling
- Standard Magpul AR grip
- Machined Picatinny Rail 8.5-inch in length with 20 slots
- Modern stock design manufactured by PolyOne
- Three slot locations incorporated in forearm for M-LOK attachment
- Rear sling stud built-in
- 43.75-inch overall length
- 8.5 pound overall weight unloaded without scope
- 29.5-inch barrel length with full length composite shroud
- 3 lb. trigger weight
- Two safeties: magazine lock-out, trigger block
It is no secret that the popularity of airguns, more specifically airgun hunting, is higher than ever before. This massive interest has produced a wave of innovation from airgun manufacturers, whom are striving to make better equipment each year. This new equipment enables hunters the ability to hunt a wider variety of game than ever before. One of the most popular game to take with an airgun is predators such as coyotes, fox, bobcats and even wild hogs.